Thursday, June 30th, 2016
Job Description – Fiduciary Risk Manager: UK Aid Direct
The MannionDaniels Group works for a healthier, equitable, inclusive, safe and sustainable world. With companies in the UK, Kenya and Nigeria we provide advice and support in policy, strategic planning, governance and programme management, with a particular focus on international health and social care. MannionDaniels brings together a team with strong interdisciplinary skills, international experience in fragile and emerging states, and commitment to equitable health services.
MannionDaniels is now the fund manager for a portfolio of competitive challenge Funds for Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) working to reduce poverty and to support advocacy for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR).
Because of the central importance of ensuring that funds are used for intended purposes, are managed transparently and effectively and are accounted for in keeping with good international practice, MannionDaniels wishes to strengthen its fiduciary risk and financial management team with the recruitment of a full time Fiduciary Risk Manager (FRM) to work on DFID’s UKAID Direct fund. The Fiduciary Risk Manager (FRM) will provide leadership and oversight across the grant portfolio ensuring the Fiduciary Risk Management Strategy is implemented, that fiduciary risk and due diligence work streams are proactively managed and that the financial management of grants is in keeping with acceptable standards. The FRM will coordinate and closely manage the key elements of the fiduciary risk management strategy and on-going financial management, working closely with the Performance & Risk Managers and third party suppliers to coordinate, monitor and document each function. The FRM will be supported by a Fiduciary Risk Officer who they will be responsible for managing.
The FRM will also support further growth and business development in MannionDaniels in the areas of Fund Management and international consultancy, particularly in the field of Public Financial Management both at central government and at sector level. Future opportunities to bid to manage other funds and to partake in consultancy projects will require a core team of PFM and fiduciary risk management specialists and the FRM will perform an important role in managing this expertise alongside other key staff. To this end the FRM will have the opportunity to undertake some business development work and international consultancy.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Implementation of MannionDaniels fund fiduciary risk management strategy:
- Design and implementations of process aligned to the UKAID Direct fiduciary risk strategy.
- Identification and reporting on areas of improvement or shortcoming for strategy
- Resourcing and planning of due diligence and risk management deliverables on an on-going basis:
- Maintaining and updating quarterly planning tool with Due Diligence resourcing requirements, following liaison with fund managers.
- Issuance of quarterly task orders relating to due diligence assessments conducted by Strategic Advisors and other contractors
- Management of contractors/consultants assigned to due diligence deliverable tasks
- Oversight of communication/storage of due diligence documentation
- Resolution/Escalation of technical financial queries arising from Financial Management Assessments and/or Integrity Due Diligence work
- Leading on the fund’s active management of fiduciary risk:
- Regular audit-style financial management checks on UK-based and international grant holders
- Verification of claims made by grant holders against budgeted workplans.
- Assessment of annual financial reports.
- Regular reporting on status of ongoing activity to the donor and to the fund managers.
- Identification of fiduciary and other risks and negotiation/implementation of important mitigating measures and safeguards as and when needed:
- Utilising the online grant management system to identify and monitor significant fiduciary risks presented by specific grants in coordination with consultants/contractors and core team
- Communication of necessary response measures to finance team
- Inputs into new business development in the areas of fund management and international PFM consultancy:
- Assist with the identification of new business opportunities in fund management and consultancy, particularly in the area of PFM at country level
- Maintain and develop any existing and potential relationships to develop on-going and new business opportunities internationally
- Technical support for Finance/Fiduciary Risk Officers, Performance & Risk Managers and externally sourced sub-contractors and consultants;
- Acting as the expert point of contact for all financial and fiduciary risk related issues arising on grants.
- Providing technical guidance to the grant holders directly or to the grant management team.
- International consultancy on on-going projects and any new opportunities that emerge in fiduciary risk management or Public Financial Management at country level
- Support to the MannionDaniels Senior Finance Manager and the Fund Finance Advisor
- Line management of the funds fiduciary risk officer
- 5+ years’ experience of managing people and sub-contractors in professional services environment (i.e. audit team leader, practice manager).
- Experience working within a CSO/NGO grant awarding mechanism
- Fiduciary risk management experience (i.e. due diligence, audit, claims management)
- Financial background and preferably, but not necessarily, a qualified accountant
- Experience in planning, procuring and managing resources
- Experience in proposal writing and working as a team under tight deadlines to develop proposals
- Essential IT skills inclusive of MS Office and in particular Excel at a high level
- Ability to work flexibly and to undertake international travel
- French language skill would be beneficial but not required
Reporting and Organization
This is a UK-based position reporting to the Senior Fiduciary Risk Manager within the Fund Management Unit
Location and Terms
The position is being offered on a full time basis but flexible working requests will be considered. The position is based in Bath in the UK, but with the opportunity for international travel.
Competitive salary and benefits package. Salary range £35,000 – £40,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject box of the email.
The closing date for applications is 15 July 2016.